Hot to pass a parameter from the server UI to the binding file?

Topics: General Questions, Getting Started/Beginner, Server Deployment
Feb 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM
I have to use InstallWizard.xml to define the additional windows to insert the passwords for my ports.
How to pass the inserted passwords into the Binding file?
It should be something easy but I didn't find how to do this.
Coordinator
Feb 9, 2013 at 5:31 AM
Typically you configure binding file variables in the Excel settings spreadsheet, which are then exported and merged into the PortBindings.xml by XmlPreprocess.exe. Any values that you collect during the install wizard become MSBuild properties, but that does not translate into the binding file. You could certainly make it happen by using MSBuild tasks to update PortBindings.xml during the deployment process, either by doing a token replacement or an XML update. That is not a built-in feature, but easy enough to implement in your .btdfproj since anything that MSBuild can do is available to you.

Are you able to use the settings spreadsheet?

Thanks,
Tom
Feb 9, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Hi Tom,
thank you for help.
Yes, I'm working with binding file and BTDF project file.
I can pass parameters from setting file to the binding file and project file. But it seems unlikely I could able to store/set up passwords in the files for Server deployment. I would have to set up them in UI while deployment process, hence I have to get the InstallWizard.xml parameters and pass them to the process which generates Binding file from the Master Binding file, right? I don't know how to do this.
Mar 21, 2016 at 2:46 PM
Hi Tom,

I would also like to be able to use a parameter from the server UI in a binding file. As it concerns the password of a service account, I prefer to use the UI instead of the binding file and I don't want to store the password on the file system.

Does v5.6 or v6.0beta support this?

Thanks in advance!
Lex