Stable Beta Release of Deployment Framework for BizTalk 5.0

Topics: Project Announcements
Coordinator
Jan 14, 2009 at 10:54 PM
The (stable) beta version of the Deployment Framework for BizTalk 5.0 is now available!

The big news in this release is the complete replatforming of the Deployment Framework from NAnt to MSBuild.  As a side effect of that change, support for BizTalk 2004 (.NET 1.1) has been discontinued in 5.0.  I'm very excited to reach this milestone.  We have talked about doing this for 2-3 years, but we all knew that the time investment would be huge.  I decided that with BizTalk 2009 coming soon with its own conversion to MSBuild, the Deployment Framework needed to convert ASAP.  (Note that I have not done any testing with BizTalk 2009.)  It took me several months and too many hours, but the finish line is in sight.

If the conversion to MSBuild wasn't enough, you'll also find a nice installer to install and configure the Deployment Framework on your development workstation.  In addition, the many Deployment Framework files that used to be scattered throughout your solution are now consolidated into a single deployment project folder, and the files that you need to edit are in a separate folder from the core Deployment Framework files.  The result is a much cleaner and more approachable toolset.

Please download the beta and check it out.  I believe it is very stable.  If you find any issues, please log them on the Issue Tracker tab.  If you have any thoughts, suggestions, questions, etc. please feel free to reply to this discussion.  Most of my effort going forward will be in documentation, so please do your best to track down any issues as soon as possible.

Enjoy,
Tom Abraham
Coordinator
Jan 15, 2009 at 3:55 PM
For those of you who have downloaded the beta, I discovered that the installer was not including one folder in the sample and caused the build to fail.  I've uploaded a new version that corrects this issue.
Coordinator
Jan 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I just uploaded a new 5.0.3 build that fixes a number of issues detailed on the Source Code tab and in the Issue Tracker.  Please post any feedback here so it can be taken into consideration prior to the final release.  Thanks!

Tom

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2009 at 6:55 PM
A new build 5.0.4 is now available.  The tools source code ZIP file is gone as it is now part of the MSI.  This version includes a couple of minor breaking changes from the previous build:

The project naming was inconsistent for the BizTalkSample.btdfproj, so to match the standard naming format, the new name is BizTalkSample.Deployment.btdfproj.  In your .btdfproj file, change the <ProjectName> property value from $(MSBuildProjectFile) to the base name of your solution (here, BizTalkSample).  It also occurred to me that the VDirList.txt and port bindings files no longer need the project name in the filename since they are now contained in a deployment folder.  You'll need to rename those files to remove "<ProjectName>." from the beginning of the name (or override some property values, but it's easier to just rename the files).

Tom
Coordinator
Jan 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM
Beta 5.0.5 is now available.  This version includes a new BAM tool and feature that allows you to maintain only the Excel XLS spreadsheet and forget about the XML.  The Deployment Framework will automatically export and utilize the BAM XML for deployments, which means that Excel isn't required on the server and you don't need to maintain two files.  I also realized that the "ProjectPath" SSO config setting that is automatically added by the Deployment Framework was pointing to the deployment project folder instead of the solution root, so this version points ProjectPath back to the solution root where it used to be.  You can find all of the changes on the Issue Tracker and/or Source Code tabs.

Tom
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM
Beta 5.0.6 is now available.  No huge changes, just a bunch of minor improvements and fixes.

Tom
Jan 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM
Great work! I was able to get this to work on my machine and I was able to convert my Nant based projects to MSBUILD with much ease with the script provided.

When I built the MSI and installed the MSI on the BizTalk application server, I dont see the EnvironmentSettings folder copied over to the server. This is causing the ServerDeploy batch file to fail.
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM
Thanks!  Did you migrate your WiXSetup NAnt stuff into your btdfproj?  You'll see in the BizTalkSample.Deployment.btdfproj that EnvironmentSettings is copied by the project, not by the Deployment Framework by default.  You may choose to put the files on a file share instead, so that behavior is up to you.  In the sample, the CustomRedist target copies EnvironmentSettings for the MSI build.  You can look at <solutionname>.Deployment\obj\Debug\redist to see exactly what is being packaged into the MSI.

Thanks,
Tom
Jan 29, 2009 at 1:47 PM
Yes, I see that now. I commented the whole CustomRedist part before and I see that use of it now. Thanks!

- Venkat
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2009 at 8:53 PM
Build 5.0.7 is available for download.  This version includes a significant new feature -- a true add-in for Visual Studio vs. the simple "external tools" previously added to the Tools menu.  You'll find a new "Deployment Framework for BizTalk" menu in your Tools menu, as well as a toolbar with many of the Deployment Framework commands.  This build also fixes the warnings that occurred during a server deployment of the sample and the Echo unit test.

Please let me know what you think of the new Visual Studio integration, and please add to the Issue Tracker as needed.

Thanks,
Tom
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2009 at 7:11 PM
Build 5.0.8 is ready to go.  This version adds a new MSBuild target 'TerminateServiceInstances' and an associated menu item and toolbar button.  The new command lets you quickly terminate all service instances associated with the BizTalk solution either from Visual Studio or from a script.

Also new in this version is that VDirList.txt is deprecated.  Instead, the VDir name, path and app pool are specified in the .btdfproj (see below for an example).  If you still want to use VDirList.txt, don't define the ItemGroup in the .btdfproj and the file will still be used.

I also discovered and fixed a couple of things in the sample that caused it to fail on default BizTalk configurations.

Here's what the VDir info looks like now in the .btdfproj:

<ItemGroup>
  <VDirList Include="*">
    <Vdir>BizTalkSampleVDir</Vdir>
    <Physdir>..\BizTalkSampleVDir</Physdir>
    <AppPool>BizTalkSample</AppPool>
  </VDirList>
</ItemGroup>

As always, please post your feedback here!

Thanks,
Tom