Silent install

Topics: Server Deployment
Jun 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Hi,

I'd like to automate my BizTalk deployment using Powershell. My best guess was to use the Powershell script of Randy Paulo (http://randypaulo.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/automating-silent-install-biztalk-deployment-framework-btdf-using-powershell/).
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but when I try the script in Powershell, it doesn't do anything.

Here's what I'm doing on my dev machine:
1) Start a Powershell prompt as administrator
2) Browse to the location of the Powershell script: Set-Location 'D:\Workspace\MyProject\MyProject.Deployment'
3) Start the Powershell script: .\Install-BizTalkApplication.ps1 -MsiFile 'D:\Workspace\MyProject\MyProject.Deployment\bin\Release\MyProject-1.0.0.msi' -ApplicationInstallPath 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MyProject\1.0\' -Environment DEV

What is wrong with this?
Is this script already a part of the BTDF or no?

Regards,
Nils Gruson
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Hi Nils,

The script is not part of the Deployment Framework, although Randy has previously given his OK to include it. I would recommend his script for full automation, but suggest that you post a comment to that article on his blog. He is usually good about replying to comments.

If the script is truly not doing anything -- and not showing any error messages at all -- then I would suggest running the script within a PowerShell IDE (PowerGUI highly recommended) so that you can debug it and see any exceptions. Is the MSI even installing (because that would be nearly the first step)?

Thanks,
Tom