Store deployment configuration settings in SSO

Topics: Bindings File, Settings Management and SSO
Aug 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Hi,
I've read through the posts and documentation about SSO and it only mentions about storing runtime configurations into the SSO Store. But I did not see anything about storing deployment configurations settings i.e. use the SSO Store to maintain the BizTalk bindings variables. Does BTDF supports this option? Can the deployment pick-up the binding variables from SSO Store instead of from the SettingsFileGenerator.xml spreadsheet?
We found that on our current project we maintain a lot of variables that are common to most BizTalk Applications. We are looking for a centralised management of Btdf BizTalk binding variables (and in particular for the passwords). SSO Store stands out as the perfect candidate for this.
Would this require a customisation of the EnvironmentSettingsExporter.exe?
Thanks a lot
Vincent Rouet
Coordinator
Aug 13, 2013 at 6:42 AM
Hi Vincent,

Sorry, no, SSO is not a supported source for the bindings file variables. EnvironmentSettingsExporter.exe creates the environment-specific XML settings files, one of which is picked up and merged with PortBindingsMaster.xml by XmlPreprocess.exe. Rather than customize EnvironmentSettingsExporter, if you want to go this route then I suggest writing your own command-line app. You can just store the EXE in a Dependencies folder within your solution folder, and include it in the MSI via the AdditionalFiles ItemGroup or just copying it within the CustomRedist target (as in the Advanced sample app). You just need to have this custom app produce the same environment-specific settings XML file format.

You can easily tie any custom step(s) into the process with a custom target, similar to:
<Target Name="ExportSettingsFromSSO" AfterTargets="ExportSettings">
  <Exec Command="..\MyExporter.exe" />
</Target>
Thanks,
Tom