This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

MSI fails to prompt me for environment

Topics: Server Deployment
Nov 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Haven't had to do any big deploys for a few months. Today, I pulled up an existing app, generated the MSI, took it over to QA, environment, and ran it. Step 1 of 2 asked for the user, and Step 2 of 2 had the checkbox for the final machine. It did NOT prompt me to pick the environment file for that environment. I think that's the main problem. Because of that I see the error below.

I see that it spun off the files, then got the /S:: Argument expects a parameter error.
I reviewed the posts for " /S:: Argument expects a parameter error. " and didn't see anything related to not prompted a person for the environment.
  Importing from SettingsFileGenerator.xml...

  Output format is XmlPreprocess (multi-file).

  Exporting to LOCAL_Exported_Settings.xml...
  Exporting to DEV_Exported_Settings.xml...
  Exporting to QA_Exported_Settings.xml...
  Exporting to PROD_Exported_Settings.xml...

  BizTalk Application Name is QT.Common.Extract
  Invalid settings file path (OK on server undeploy).
  Clearing file attributes for 'PortBindings.xml'.
  "C:\Program Files (x86)\QT.Common.Extract (BizTalk Inventory Reconciliation E
  xtract)\1.0\Deployment\Framework\DeployTools\xmlpreprocess.exe" /f /v /c /noD
  irectives /i:"C:\Program Files (x86)\QT.Common.Extract (BizTalk Inventory Rec
  onciliation Extract)\1.0\Deployment\PortBindingsMaster.xml" /o:"C:\Program Fi
  les (x86)\QT.Common.Extract (BizTalk Inventory Reconciliation Extract)\1.0\De
  ployment\PortBindings.xml" /d:CurDir="C:\Program Files (x86)\QT.Common.Extrac
  t (BizTalk Inventory Reconciliation Extract)\1.0" /s:""
  XmlPreprocess v2.0.13.0
  Copyright (c) 2004-2010 Loren M Halvorson
  XML File Preprocessor

  /s:: Argument expects a parameter
Neal Walters
Nov 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Edited Nov 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM
I'm working on an idea... When I first generated the MSI today, it told me the installWizard.xml file was missing, so I copied over one from another project. (Looks like maybe I failed to check that file into TFS from the first deployment.) It looks like that file is missing parts. I'm proceeding to compare the InstallWizard.xml file in various projects to see what makes it tick.

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM
That was it. I guess I didn't realize the InstallWizard.xml was a file generated unique to each project. It has the project name inside of it, and apparently the sections vary depending on your .btdfproj parms.

Here's an example comparing the one that didn't work with the one that did:


Neal Walters
Nov 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I had the same problem before in this post, but totally different thing caused it:

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM
Hi Neal,

Glad that you figured it out. The wizard is covered here.