This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Automated Build and deploy for BizTalk 2013 Applications

Topics: Server Deployment, Visual Studio Integration
Nov 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Hi,

I am currently working on a BizTalk 2013 project. I am using BTDF for my project locally and everything works perfectly. To deploy BT applications on other environments, i am creating a MSI from my Viusal studio Addin and copying them on to the server and running the MSI.

Now, I would like to automate the Build and deployments on to the remote servers. I did google around this and found that I need to install BizTalk Project build component on TFS Build server.
But i am not sure if the BTDF installation succeeds on the TFS Build server if we just install Biztalk project Build components.

Please let me know if any one of you have installed BTDF successfully and is it mandatory to install BTDF on the TFS Build Server. If we don't have to install BTDF and just can Check the BTDF files, then which files do i need to Check in.

I have not done this before. Please provide guidance or documents if any are available.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Thanks,
Gnani
Dec 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Hi Gnani,

You do need to install the Deployment Framework on the TFS build server because your BTDF build is in two steps -- build the BizTalk solution then build the BTDF MSI. In the build configuration you will end up building both the .sln and the .btdfproj. You can find the documentation on setting up TFS builds here.

You may need to install Visual Studio and possibly more components of BizTalk to get your .sln to build successfully (completely unrelated to the BTDF). For instance, I've used some of the EDI pipeline components in a custom pipeline, which forced me to install the EDI component of BizTalk on the build server.

Thanks,
Tom
Jan 2, 2014 at 12:35 AM
Hi Tom,

I am trying to deploy biztalk 2013 application using TFS 2012 automated build. I have created Successful build with Sol and .btdf proj in build proj list.

Now to automated Deploy my understanding is
I have to Copy MSI to stage environment from build server, undeploy the existing app, uninstall MSI, Install new MSI and than Deploy it. So i created four batch file with psexec and its ok. but I get into trouble when sometime the uninstall MSI asks for reboot because Bistalk is working or when undeploy fails. So I got this article which has further detail of the steps
http://geekswithblogs.net/RobBowman/archive/2013/02/12/biztalk-automated-multi-server-deploy.aspx
Specially this workflow
http://gwb.blob.core.windows.net/robbowman/Windows-Live-Writer/a78213296850_9183/image_22.png

he also mentined about the powershell script he has created which I am not able to access. I would appreciate if you could provide some assistance with deploying the biztalk msi automatically using TFSbuild

Note- BTW MSI and batch files were copied already during Build application ( by setting drop location as stage env in tfsbuild) . In Deploy Build defination I am just executing four batch file.
Jan 13, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Thanks Tom