BT2009 replaces benefits of this framework?

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:55 PM
Hi.  This looks like a great tool and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I was wondering about BT2009 though.  My understanding is there have been improvements in the deployment capabilities with VS2008, and I'm wondering if this framework will still be required?
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM
Thanks for checking us out.  BT2009 changes the project file format over to MSBuild XML format.  I assume that they have also created deployment-related MSBuild tasks to support the new project format.  However, from what I've seen they haven't made any fundamental changes to their deployment and packaging strategy.

One of the biggest downsides of the built-in tools, in my mind, is that you have to actually deploy the BizTalk solution, then package it into an MSI.  In our framework, you never have to deploy the solution to create a deployment package.  This allows you to build your BizTalk solution in an automated build process and have it spit out an MSI automatically.  We also use the exact same process to deploy to your developer machine as to any BizTalk server, so you are essentially using and testing your server deployment process every day while you build out your solution.

That's really only the beginning.  We provide a runtime settings management tool that is fully integrated, templated binding files so you only have to maintain one master binding file, partial automation of side-by-side deployments and many other things listed on the project home page.

Bottom line, yes, we definitely still offer great value over the built-in BT2009 tools.

Thanks,
Tom
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2009 at 7:43 PM
Its also worth noting that the primary goal of BT2009 was to enable integration with Team Build for purposes of compiling...its not obvious to me that they've tackled anything related to deployment yet...

2009/3/27 tfabraham <notifications@codeplex.com>

Thanks for checking us out.  BT2009 changes the project file format over to MSBuild XML format.  I assume that they have also created deployment-related MSBuild tasks to support the new project format.  However, from what I've seen they haven't made any fundamental changes to their deployment and packaging strategy.

One of the biggest downsides of the built-in tools, in my mind, is that you have to actually deploy the BizTalk solution, then package it into an MSI.  In our framework, you never have to deploy the solution to create a deployment package.  This allows you to build your BizTalk solution in an automated build process and have it spit out an MSI automatically.  We also use the exact same process to deploy to your developer machine as to any BizTalk server, so you are essentially using and testing your server deployment process every day while you build out your solution.

That's really only the beginning.  We provide a runtime settings management tool that is fully integrated, templated binding files so you only have to maintain one master binding file, partial automation of side-by-side deployments and many other things listed on the project home page.

Bottom line, yes, we definitely still offer great value over the built-in BT2009 tools.

Thanks,
Tom

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (biztalkdeployment@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email biztalkdeployment@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
scott colestock
Mar 28, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Hi,
In v2009, There are only some basic build tasks for building schemas, maps, pipelines etc and the build works in a 2 phase manner - first the schemas, ,maps and pipelines and then the orchestrations. This will allow you to inject intermediate steps if required.

However, there are NO tasks for deployment of any sort and as Tom pointed out, a deployment framework goes well beyond just tasks to deploy. Not requiring Biztalk on the build server (to export the MSI) is also a good thing because you want to keep your build servers as lightweight as possible..

HTH,

Benjy

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2009 at 2:34 AM

Just to update this thread with the most current info, the current beta release of 5.0 does support BizTalk 2009 with VS 2008.

Tom