Sticky BDF toolbar ?

Topics: Visual Studio Integration
Apr 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM
Has anyone else found the BDF toolbar is a bit ... "sticky" ?

I turn it off, but every couple or so times I open Visual Studio, it's reappearing    :-(

I can't see a pattern ...
- I thought it was each time I generated a new solution using the BizTalk Solution Factory
- but it's also happened with a simple C# console project        
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2009 at 4:44 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the note.  The toolbar is currently implemented with the simplest method of integration with Visual Studio.  It is removed every time the add-in is unloaded, and it is created every time the add-in is loaded.  It's user-specified location and state are not persisted.  You should expect to see it appear every time you start Visual Studio, unless you set the add-in (through the add-in manager dialog) to not load on startup -- maybe that's why you've seen some variability.

I know it would be a nicer experience to keep the state, but this was the easiest way to get it out as part of this release.  Toolbar state would probably be a 5.1 enhancement.

Thanks for your feedback (and the review)!

Tom
Apr 14, 2009 at 9:16 AM
Tom,

thanks for the response .... ah ha, now I understand, and more importantly, I'm not going crazy   :-)

Do you think this could be causing effects on the user-specified location of other toolbars ?
- I'm finding my "Xml Editor" and "Text Editor" both reverting   :-(
- but "Standard" isn't   ??

Review came from the heart ... one of the things I always go on about at work is the "automated build", so BDF is a great step forward for the BizTalk solutions

Cheers,
SteveC.
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2009 at 9:30 PM
Steve,

I'm not sure offhand why it would affect any other toolbars.  I was considering having the toolbar add itself to the right side of the VS window instead of the left as it does now (haven't verified that I can actually do that yet), since I guessed that that might be less likely to run into existing toolbars.

Thanks,
Tom