How do you add policies to an application?

Topics: Getting Started/Beginner
May 21, 2014 at 7:22 AM
The announcement of the BRE integration overhaul mentioned ...

•Support for adding policies to a BizTalk application's resources so that they show up in BizTalk Admin under Policies and integrate with BizTalk's app start/stop logic

How do you add policies to an application? ... I can't see anything in the "Rules Policies and Vocabularies" section?
Coordinator
May 21, 2014 at 2:21 PM
All rule policies in the XML files referenced by RulePolicies items are added to the application as resources. They will appear in BizTalk Admin under the application's Policies node.

I'm not sure what you are referencing by "Rules Policies and Vocabularies section."

Thanks,
Tom
May 27, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Tom,

tried deploying and the policies go into the <All Artifacts>, rather than the actual application
    <RuleVocabularies Include="Searches_BRE_Vocabulary.xml">
      <LocationPath>..\BRE</LocationPath>
    </RuleVocabularies>
    <RulePolicies Include="Searches_BRE_Policy.xml">
      <LocationPath>..\BRE</LocationPath>
    </RulePolicies>
I'm not sure what you are referencing by "Rules Policies and Vocabularies section."
I was referring to the section in the documentation, under ... "Configuring BizTalk Artifacts for Deployment \ Artifact Types " ... and wondering if there was a setting relating to adding policies to a specific application, rather than into ... "All Artifacts"

Cheers,
SteveC.
Coordinator
May 27, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Hi Steve,

<All Artifacts> is a rollup view of artifacts from all installed BizTalk apps, so they're always going to show there. The Deployment Framework runs "BTSTask.exe AddResource" once for each version of each policy contained within all RulePolicies files during the DeployVocabAndRules target, which associates them to the application.

You should see those steps in the script output under the DeployVocabAndRules target.

Thanks,
Tom
Marked as answer by steveculshaw on 5/28/2014 at 3:25 AM
May 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Tom,

I must have been doing something wrong ... _cleaned off all rules and the application, rebooted virtual machine, etc. _

Tried deployment, which worked fine, including the addition of the policies to the target application

Also checked the log file, and saw the commands ...
BTSTask.exe AddResource -Type:System.BizTalk:Rules -Overwrite -Name:"SetTestEndpoint" -Version:"1.0" -ApplicationName:"TestApp"
Many thanks yet again,
SteveC.
Coordinator
May 28, 2014 at 2:37 PM
No problem, glad to hear it's behaving itself now!

Tom