Settings for Visual Studio Add-in

Topics: Getting Started/Beginner, Visual Studio Integration
Jun 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Edited Jun 10, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Is there anyway to pass settings to the "Deploy BizTalk Solution" in the Visual Studio add-in?

Initially I want to pass in VDIR_UserName and VDIR_UserPass ...

I've got them working before from the SettingsFileGenerator.xml if I do a full MSI deployment, but can't see a way to feed the values into Visual Studio

Cheers,
SteveC.
Jun 10, 2014 at 8:55 AM
I think I've partly resolved how to do it ...

I added ...
<PropsFromEnvSettings Include="SsoAppUserGroup;SsoAppAdminGroup;VDIR_UserName;VDIR_UserPass" />
and the VDir is created with the required user id

But the .NET version is still 2.0, when my btdfproj has it set to v4.0 ...
    <VDirList Include="*">
      <Vdir>TestVdir</Vdir>
      <Physdir>..\TestVdir</Physdir>
      <AppPool>SMC</AppPool>
      <AppPoolNetVersion>v4.0</AppPoolNetVersion>
    </VDirList>
and if I do the deployment by MSI, the app pool is created set to NET 4.0
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Hi Steve,

The typical model is to add VDIR_UserName and VDIR_UserPass to InstallWizard.xml and have them entered by the operator running the deploy wizard. Those two properties are intended for server deployments, not in Visual Studio deployments. It's fine to put them in the spreadsheet instead of the wizard.

Since most developers need to configure a specific AppPool identity and no one wants his/her personal user account password in the spreadsheet or .btdfproj, the Deployment Framework assumes that for VS deployments the developer has manually created and configured the AppPool. That's why you don't see it being configured.

FYI, for (future) v6.0 I've completely redesigned and rebuilt the IIS integration.

Thanks,
Tom
Jun 11, 2014 at 8:08 AM
Thanks Tom

Cheers,
SteveC.