Problems deploying solution to production

Topics: Server Deployment
Jun 2, 2015 at 4:58 PM
I'm having problems getting a solution to deploy to production and I hope someone can help me.

Our company is new to using BizTalk and I'm developing our first solution. I'm using BizTalk server 2013 and BTDF 6.0. I've been able to develop on my local PC and deploy to a staging server without any issues. But when deploying to production, I get the following three issues when I perform a deployment:
  1. During the part of the install where it deploys the application to BizTalk, I get this message:
    EXEC : error : Failed to add resource (Luid="System.BizTalk:BizTalkAssembly", Type="Orchestrations, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=56f2569ca56da2ad"). [C:\Program Files (x86)\AssetSuiteFinancialBroker for BizTalk\1.0\Deployment\Deployment.btdfproj]
    Access to the path 'C:\Users\BYC\AppData\Local\Temp\BT\PID5764\b24xeszg.cab' is denied.
    Normally, if I just restart the host instances and perform the redeploy from the start menu, it goes fine the second time.
  2. If I get the deploy to succeed, during running of the application I get this error:
    The Messaging Engine failed to create the transport adapter "WCF-SQL".
    OutboundAssemblyPath: "NULL"
    OutboundTypeName: "Microsoft.Adapters.Sql.BizTalk.WcfBtsSqlTransmitter, Microsoft.Adapters.Sql.BizTalk, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
    Exception Details: "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Adapters.Sql.BizTalk, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
I usually have to resolve this error by repairing the 64-bit adapter pack.
  1. And here is the other error I get:
    The Messaging Engine failed to create the transport adapter "Recycle Bin".
    OutboundAssemblyPath: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2013\CustomAdapters\Winterdom.BizTalk.Adapters.NullAdapter.dll"
    OutboundTypeName: "Winterdom.BizTalk.Adapters.NullSendAdapter"
    Exception Details: "Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2013\CustomAdapters\Winterdom.BizTalk.Adapters.NullAdapter.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
This is for some custom code to implement a "Recycle Bin" type send port for getting rid of messages my process is not interested in. When I get this error, I have to go out and reinstall the relevant DLLs into the GAC.

Normally, if I do these three steps enough times, I will end up with a working solution. But if I make any change to the solution and redeploy, the problems start up again. It often can take 30 minutes to an hour to get a solution to work. Fortunately we are not truly in a production environment yet (just using the servers), since this would create a lot of havoc if I did it in a real production environment.

Anybody have any ideas or could point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Barry Wilson
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2015 at 5:26 AM
Hi Barry,

Sounds like a frustrating situation. I don't think any of these issues are related to the Deployment Framework, but I'll throw out a few comments and ideas.
  1. Were the production servers upgraded or a clean install of both the OS and BT 2013? It doesn't sound like you have a clean, vanilla installation.
  2. When it says it "could not load" the various assemblies, are they truly missing from the GAC's (Windows\assembly and Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly)? You can use the Fusion Log Viewer (fuslogvw.exe) to get a trace of all the places the .NET assembly loader (Fusion) is looking for an assembly.
  3. Have you ever mixed the out-of-the-box MSI deployments with BTDF MSI deployments? Make sure you don't have any remnants deployed and that you use only BTDF MSI's (never the Import MSI feature).
  4. I recall seeing that .cab access denied error many years ago, but don't recall if I ever found a solution. I remember playing with NTFS permissions. You can use the SysInternals Process Explorer to see which process is locking the .cab file.
Here's a link to the TechNet BizTalk forum, where you'll want to post too.

Tom
Jun 3, 2015 at 3:16 PM
Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for responding.

The production servers were brand new clean installs of both the OS and BizTalk. However, since I'm seeing completely different behavior in our staging environment, I have to think something is very messed up in the production installation. So I think before I pursue the problem too much more, I'm going to do a complete uninstall/reinstall of BizTalk and all related components on the production server. Hopefully, I won't get the errors after that is complete.

Thanks again,
Barry