BTDF build agent task for Visual Studio Online (VSO)?

Topics: General Questions, Server Deployment, Visual Studio Integration
Jun 7, 2015 at 12:51 PM
Edited Jun 7, 2015 at 12:53 PM
Hi

We are very happy users of BTDF and with great success used the template BTDFDefaultTemplate.xaml template on our old on premise build setup. After migrating to VSO having on-prem build controllers and agents using the XAML process templates is still supported but the new Build in VSO based PowerShell/JSON templates in combination with on-prem build agents looks very promising… and fun!
(for more details check here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/Library/vs/alm/Build/overview )

My question is if anybody know if anybody is working on a BTDF agent task for VSO Build? Creating your own should be fairly straightforward (https://github.com/Microsoft/vso-agent-tasks) and as far as I see it’s more a less a slight variation to the MsBuild just like it was done with the current XAML based template (http://www.tfabraham.com/BTDFDocs/V5_5/CustomizationstotheTeamBuild2010.html)
I would consider throwing myself at it but for now I’m just checking if anybody had thought about the same idea and perhaps already made a Git contribution.

Thanks and thanks for an awesome framework!!

Morten
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2015 at 7:30 PM
Hi Morten,

Thanks for the great feedback! The thing that makes the BTDF builds special is the fact that I don't have a Visual Studio "project system" like .csproj, .vbproj, etc.. As a result, the BTDF build is not aware of the output redirection that happens within the other projects during a TFS build. The change to the build template turns off that output redirection so the binaries stay in the project folders.

That said, with the new Team Build system, I'm not sure if they are doing the same output redirection. If so, then we'll still need something custom.

I am too limited on time to consider it right now. If you feel like figuring out what needs to be done, I'd welcome the feedback!

Thanks,
Tom
Jun 8, 2015 at 10:25 PM
Thanks for the answer Tom. I'll let you know if I start working on the new VSO Build Task. You made some good points about why the customization is needed...

Thanks again,

Morten
Jul 14, 2015 at 8:56 PM
"It Just Works"

Neither the VSBuild nor the MSBuild vso agent task does any output redirection, so all is well.

I used a VSBuild step for my solution, and an MSBuild step for my btdfproj. But, it looks like the only difference between the two is how they locate msbuild.exe.

Vercellone
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2015 at 5:21 AM
Thanks for confirming. I recently read that the new TFS build banished output redirection, so I figured it should work without modification. Glad to hear that's the case!

Tom
Jul 15, 2015 at 4:13 PM
Morten,

What symptoms are you experiencing? Is the build failing due to an error, or are you just not getting the drop output you expect?

Vercellone
Oct 12, 2015 at 10:55 AM
Vercellone

Sorry I never got back to you on this one..I missed the notification.
I've just now tried to do the setup as you suggested and everything works as you said it would :) Those errors I had was related to Agent permissions on on-prem build server and had nothing to do with BTDF.

Thanks for your help..

//morten
Oct 24, 2015 at 11:57 AM
BTDF and VSO are working great for me, I've blogged about it here: blog post