Using BTDF ProductVersion Build Drop Path

Topics: General Questions
Oct 13, 2015 at 2:01 PM
We use TFS Team Build server to build our BTDF BizTalk solutions. As it is now the build server drops the new MSI in a folder named with the BTDF Project name and a timestamp. The MSI-file in the folder is the project name and the BTDF Projectversion. That means there are a long list of projects with different timestamps. But what version is in what folder?

Is it possible to put the ProjectVersion in the folder name? It would make it much easier when deployint to different staging environments.

Johan
Coordinator
Oct 13, 2015 at 6:49 PM
Hi Johan,

I believe you're referring to the behavior of the TFS build template, which creates the drop folder structure. You'd have to customize your build template to change the folder name. The Deployment Framework only controls the MSI filename.

The build can pass a property to the MSBuild command line that contains the desired ProjectVersion (/p:ProjectVersion=1.0), which puts it in control of the build vs. the developer. A customized build template could use the same value in the drop folder directory name.

Thanks,
Tom
Feb 8, 2016 at 7:33 PM
I get the build to complete and then deploy my application locally yet I'm not getting an MSI file generated.

Is there something I need to do to get the MSI generated through the TFS build?
Coordinator
Feb 9, 2016 at 6:29 PM
Are you sure that you're executing the Installer MSBuild target on the .btdfproj? In new projects, it's the default (DefaultTargets="Installer"). Older projects might have a different default and need the updated default or the MSBuild command line needs to specify /t:Installer.

I'm assuming that you also disabled output redirection in the build. Without that the WiX project won't be able to find the DLL's for packaging.

Thanks,
Tom
Feb 11, 2016 at 6:50 PM
Thank you - that was it!