Possible to deploy to the same BizTalk application?

Topics: General Questions
Sep 15, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I have several solutions that I want to deploy to the same BizTalk application name.

If I try this I get the error message "Application 'SomeApp.Common' already exists. Specify a unique Application name."

Is it possible to deploy from 2 solutions to the same application or should I move everything into one solution?

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Hi, the Deployment Framework is set up to deploy one solution to one BizTalk app.  During deployment the Framework attempts to delete the BizTalk app and recreate it, so two solutions with the same app name will collide as you've discovered.  I'd recommend moving everything into one solution if you can.

Thanks,
Tom

May 18, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the work you have done on the framework. Its an excellent tool for deployment and saves messy deployment scripts.

A quick question on this topic whether any changes had been made to incorporate this into the most recent release.

Is it possible to deploy from 2 solutions to the same application? Is the BTDF tied to a 1 solution to 1 application model?

Dan.

Coordinator
May 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the positive comments, I appreciate them!  (In case you felt so inclined, there's a star rating on the Downloads page where you can rate the release.  :-) )

The short answer to your question is no.  The long answer is that my focus for V5.0 now is addressing ease-of-use issues, reducing the time it takes to get started with the Deployment Framework, and documentation.  I want to get this to a final release before it drags out longer than it already has.  The Framework is fairly tied to a single-application model (with the ability to manage cross-app references).  I would need to do some thinking about what a model would even look like that could support multiple applications.  I imagine there would have to be some kind of mapping of artifacts to applications, etc.  If you have any ideas of what you were thinking, I'd appreciate having the feedback here, but I cannot promise you that anything will happen in this area in the short term.

Thanks again,
Tom

Coordinator
May 19, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I think Dan's question wasn't so much about multiple applications (which might be a little odd, given the focus of "applications" being a unit of deployment) as it was about solutions.  

If you wanted to have multiple solution files contributing to a single application, you might be able to get this effect by having a "master" solution as well as some smaller convenience solutions that contain subsets of the projects (is that what you're after?).   When you deploy from inside of one of the smaller solutions, you might be OK as long as the binaries from the other solution were still present and able to deploy.  However, you might have to do some work to ensure that the application name itself was being determined correctly - and not being derived from the smaller/subset solutions.

There are probably other things to work through, but these would be start...